Barnyard Millet Upma (Kuthiraivaali Upma)
This dish is the one that doesn't require onions
Cooking time: 5 mins
Roasted barnyard millet - 1/2 cup
Cabbage - 1/4 cup (chopped)
Frozen peas - 1/4 cup
Coconut - 2 tbsn (grated)
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tspn
Uraddal - 1 tspn
Channadal - 1 tspn
Ginger - 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
Asafoetida - 1/8 tspn
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few (chopped)
Coconut oil - 2 tspn
Salt to taste
To roast and grind:
Toor dal - 1 tspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Peppercorns - 1/2 tspn
Red chilli - 1
1. Grab all the ingredients.
2. Dry roast the ingredients for it and grind it into a coarse powder.
3. Heat a Pan. Add oil, mustard seeds, uraddal, channadal.
4. Add ginger, curry leaves and asafoetida.
5. Add cabbage and peas. Mix well.
6. Add the coarse powder and give a mix.
7. Add 1 1/2 cup of water, salt, coconut, coriander leaves.
8. Add the millets. Mix well.
9. Close with the lid and cook for 2-3 mins.
10. Open the lid.
11. Healthy millet upma is ready to serve with pickle or coconut chutney.
You can use other millets for this recipe. You can add carrot and beans too.